Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How We Met

I thought it might be fun to share with everyone a few fun stories about Brandon and I, for those that haven't been able to witness our relationship so far. I figure the best way to start is the story of how we met!

Brandon moved to San Diego in late summer of 2006 with his friend Mike, basically on a whim and because the weather was nice the weekend they came down to check out the area. I had been living in San Diego since August 2005, and had moved down here from Los Angeles to attend law school at the University of San Diego. I was part of a twenties ministry group called 29:11 organized through College Avenue Baptist Church.

Brandon and Mike showed up one Thursday night at 29:11 - I'm not actually sure where they heard about it. When I noticed that new people were there, I made sure to go up and introduce myself since we didn't get a lot of new visitors in the group. I'm not sure what kind of first impression I made, but I remember having a fairly drawn out discussion about ketchup, so probably not a great one.

Brandon and I both continued attending 29:11 over the next year and a half, but he was so busy settling into his new life in San Diego, and I was so busy being in law school that neither of us were really looking to date anyone. Well, I know that's true for me -- I like to joke that Brandon was just looking around to see if he could find anyone better before he had to settle for me, but hopefully that's not really the case! Regardless, we hung out at a lot of group events and always enjoyed each other's company.

In March of 2008, I attended Brandon's 26th birthday party. It was a lot of fun and we both had a great time. A few days after his party, he called me up and asked me on our first date! I'm still not sure exactly what prompted this decision, it seemed really out of the blue to me at the time. I remember when he asked me out to dinner, I was so confused that I replied, "Like on a date?" It ended up working out great, though! We've definitely proven the idea that friends first is a great way to go when it comes to relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment